The earliest settlements at the Lake arrived with the lumbering industry in
the early 1840s. Farmers also arrived - some from the Dallas area. Joseph
Worden established a farm at the Lake in 1855 and with a spelling change common
among early settlers it became Warden Place.
Warden Place is actually a cove along the lake shore which restricted
lakeside development. A prominent feature was the Lakeside Inn which by 1915
had rooms for sixty guests ($2.00 daily/$10.00 weekly). Its famous host by the
1920s was Martha James Schworm when the hotel was well-known for its chicken
dinners. When Martha Schworm died by the late 1930s, her husband James continued
the hotel's operation for a few more years.
Erected as a memorial to Catholic servicemen who served in World War II, our
Lady of Victory Chapel at Warden Place was dedicated on September 3, 1923.
By the early 1930s Link's Tavern, fronting the Lake road, was a favorite
spot. Jack Link also offered a boat slip and marine service to the Lake's boat
In 1945 Fred Brokenshire, a hotel operator from Kingston, remodeled the
Walter and Anne Teter home at Warden Place into the Brokenshire Hotel. It offered
30 attractive rooms. The Marine Dining Room with its plastic floor was a
popular dancing spot with recorded music and a weekly orchestra. However,
Brokenshire died ten years later. The hotel was vacated and later demolished.
In 1946 the Lakeside Inn was sold by Lewis Schworm to Melvin Sweeney. By the
1960s it was principally a bar and dining room. The Lake's attraction for
summer guests to its hotels was in great decline. The hotel was lost to fire in
Copyright 2006-2008 F. Charles Petrillo