3

Early Fern Brook Park, like the Lehigh Valley Picnic Grounds at the Lake, was essentially a picnic grove perhaps with basic amusement attractions. 

Fern Brook was actually opened before the full line ran to the Lake.  The last spike on the joint railroad-trolley system was not hammered until June 28, 1897. 

In these early years the line ran a trolley from Wilkes-Barre to Luzerne where a railroad locomotive was coupled to the cars to haul them to the Lake.  Later the system was a full trolley run from the city. At the line’s terminus on Oneonta Hill near the southern tip of Harvey's Lake (now Sunset) there also was a small picnic ground. next

Page Prev | Next || First | Last
Copyright 2006-2007 F. Charles Petrillo