The Lake Line Trolley
Editor's Note: The following material is adapted from Chapter 7 of Harold E. Cox's Wyoming Valley Trolleys: Street Railways of Wilkes-Barre, Nanticoke and Pittston, Pennsylvania (Forty-Fort, PA 1988). Copyright © Harold E. Cox 1988. Used By Permission. The Preface and Afterword, plus material in brackets throughout the text, has been added to enhance the article. – F. Charles Petrillo, February 2002.
Chapter 6 -- Afterword
Elsewhere in the Valley the trolley system was transformed through various leases and corporate reorganizations in response to both financial problems and competition from bus systems. By 1924 the Wilkes-Barre Railway Corporation controlled the Valley’s trolley systems. Plagued by the Depression, emerging bus lines, and Work Progress Administration (WPA), road building for private automobiles, the local system by 1937 evolved into the Wyoming Valley Autobus Company (bus lines) and the Wilkes-Barre Trackless Trolley Company (electric bus) and the Wyoming Valley Public Service Company (electric trolley). In 1940 these companies were consolidated into the Wilkes-Barre Transit Company. The last electric trolley lines were closed in 1947-1950. The last electric trolley ran on a Nanticoke line on October 15, 1950. Trackless trolley lines were fully closed by late 1958.
Copyright 2006-2008 F. Charles Petrillo