The Lake Line Trolley
Editor's Note: The following material is adapted from Chapter 7 of Harold E. Cox's Wyoming Valley Trolleys: Street Railways of Wilkes-Barre, Nanticoke and Pittston, Pennsylvania (Forty-Fort, PA 1988). Copyright © Harold E. Cox 1988. Used By Permission. The Preface and Afterword, plus material in brackets throughout the text, has been added to enhance the article. – F. Charles Petrillo, February 2002.
The earliest “trolley line” in the Wyoming Valley was built in 1866 to connect Public Square in Wilkes-Barre with Kingston. It was a trolley-car on rails pulled by a horse, as were other early trolley lines. The earliest electric powered street railway was operational in 1888 in Wilkes-Barre. As other early electric lines were developed in the Valley a consolidation of capital investment and the various local lines occurred in 1891 with the creation of the Wilkes-Barre and Wyoming Valley Traction Company (W-B&WVT). - F. Charles Petrillo
Copyright 2006-2007 F. Charles Petrillo
Copyright 2006-2008 F. Charles Petrillo